Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I am in love...


I went to the Carrie Underwood concert tonight. The emotions that are welling inside of me are hard to explain.

During All American Girl, she brought a little girl on stage and had her sing the last chorus with her. It was a cute picture. I love it when she is compassionate and reaching out to people...that is my favorite quality about her. She is so tender and loving...and I love that about her. Not to mention it was a really cute picture...I didn't get a good look at the little girl, but Carrie was very cute.

Fast forward in the show about 20 minutes when my leg started buzzing. It was Tyler Ward (good kid). He sent me a text message:

"Hey broseph. You still our youth pastor or you run off with Carrie and get married."

At that moment...she came out in a beautiful blue dress. Before All American Girl, she asked the audience if there were any "all American girl's" there tonight. Before the next song, she asked if there was any Prince Charming's in the crowd. I could feel the connection we had at that very moment. She then lamented that she was still looking, but at the age of 25 she was still single. Coincidentally this is my age. At that very moment, I felt like the very Prince Charming she was talking about. According to the song, she is finding her companionship from a puppy that travels around with her. "The more boys I meet the more I love my dog." Apparently, she has been hurt in the past by guys. Carrie, those guys were idiots.

I felt bad for her, mostly because here she was bearing her soul, and me, the very guy who could comfort and assuage her was setting a mere 29 rows from her. Someday, perhaps by happenstance, we shall meet face to face. I am holding on to the fact that in that moment, I will be overcome with my prince-charmingness and my tender heart will show through. And we will think back to this night and reminisce about the time we were so close emotionally yet so far away physically. I will be there to comfort her and we will ride off into the sunset like her song "Ever After" talks about.

Not to take anything away from this youth group, but rest assured Tyler, had I proposed and she said yes, I would guarantee that you would never see me again.

I'm just kidding. Judging by our careers, mine seems to be going places faster than hers, so she could settle down, while I support our kids and her dog (jk).

I also caught some confetti tonight that now graces my desk here at work.

No comments: