Sunday, October 12, 2008

Spiritual Fatigue

Many years ago, I was blessed to have been able to run with some good guys on the Seaman Cross Country team. I stunk at it. I have since seen video's of myself running then that makes me question their friendship. If they were truly my friends, they would have told me to take up something that would fit my athletic ability a little bit better, like competitive cup stacking or something. To this day they are some of my best friends. On our long runs as a team, I remember getting so tired that throwing myself under an 18-wheeler looked appealing. We used to have discussions about the proper entry angle so as not to kill yourself, but at least limit the use of your legs so you wouldn't have to finish the six mile run.

Last weekend, I was able to go watch the MCC-Ozark Soccer game. Seeing a lot of those guys helped me to remember simpler days, where the theory of theology caused a lot less headaches than the practical theology that I face today. Relationships are difficult, and quite frankly more work than I had ever imagined. A couple of summers ago, I was faced with a difficult relationship as I worked with CIY. Nate Karnes taught me a lot about how to deal with it. That was 3 months of awkwardness and misunderstanding. But it was so much simpler knowing that relationship would come to an end...these now must go on indefinitely.

Relationships are hard work, needing constant maintenance. I am now starting to realize how much of your spiritual health affects the relationships you have and vice versa. When I am tired relationally...I notice that instead of running to scripture, it is easier to run away. When I am tired spiritually...I avoid relationships. Spiritual health is celebrated communally. It is shared communally.

No comments: