Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I fear that in an effort to be cutting edge,

we have ignored the foundations and subsequent learning’s of others.

In the past week I have read two books. The first was a book about hymns and the stories that surrounded many of the hymns that were sung years ago. The other was a book called the Barbarian Way, by Erwin McManus. I am not new to McManus. I have read Uprising and Seizing Your Divine Moments, which were written by him as well. While reading this, I found his overall distaste for any kind of establishment and tradition to really turn me off of his whole idea. I might be reading to far into it; however, I think you find the same overtones within uprising.

I went to a Bible College where many traditions are age old and conservatism is more prevalent than some others. There were some rules there that I did not understand. We could not have long hair (which I have been told has now changed). We could not smoke or drink. We could not wear shorts to class. We had to be in the dorms by a certain time. Some of my class mates took offense to these rules. Some chose not to follow them, for the simple reason that they were outdated and traditional. The same attitude is given to religion as well. Oh wait, I am not allowed to say that word. "Religion" has become synonymous with traditional and lackluster. What is a religion? A set of beliefs or practices. From the root word "rely."

I can't count the number of facebook pages that say

“Religious Views: Its not a religion, its a relationship.”

So what you have there, trendy and cutting edge individual, is a relationship based upon no belief, no trust, and no practices if it is not a religion. This is not about semantics, nor do I wish to imply that there is no substance to the fact that it is a relationship; however, at least understand the meaning of religion before giving it a bad repoir.

It is called a religion because it is a set of beliefs and practices that have evolved over the years, in a manner that has greatly affected the generation before you. There are a great number of men and women, who are respected that were brought up in this “religion” that many are quick to trash should the word religion take on a negative connotation. Many were raised singing hymns and dressing up for church.

Challenging the status quo is not something that I do well or often. I tend to swim along with the current on most things. One thing I have noticed about may of those who take a stand to be different and cutting edge, who cut down the traditions and beliefs just because they can, do it for that very reason. They can! It really isn't about a rededication to the original gospel, to get to know Jesus, or even to deeper commune with God, it is the understanding that they will get attention. McManus does it to sell books. Some preachers will go up on stage and say something to challenge everyone, not for the purpose of better communication, not the betterment of their congregation, or even that they believe it, but for the purpose of attracting attention to themselves. If you make a statement, that you have to spend the next 40 minutes explaining, then it was probably better served not to make it.

As for the rules and traditions at school, Jesus called you to a life of submission. How can you submit to him, if you are unable to follow completely arbitrary rules that have no bearing on your own devotion to him. You are not growing your hair long to get to know him better, you are not willing to cut your hair because you don't want to. John has some words for that: "he must become greater, I must become less."

Often times our own rebellion to the status quo is just that, it is "our" own wants and desires that are really placed before anything else. I don't condone doing church as it always has been done, just think before changing it: "Is this for me, or is it for the advancement of His kingdom."

My advice to all those who desire to write a cutting edge book that challenges the way everyone thinks and challenges many traditions that church members hold dear: understand them before changing them. If you can't understand why something was done a particular way (for example the reason a set of beliefs is called a religion, or why a church sang hymns), then you have no business changing it. Should you begin to understand why, ask yourself the reason for the change.

This blog’s purpose is simply this: I work with youth. I have been a youth most of my life, and acted like a youth most of college. The negative light upon which tradition and religion, has been shone, is done by people who either do not understand, or do not wish to relinquish their own ego to acknowledge. There are times to be cutting edge. There are times when proper respect needs to be given to how thing have evolved. In our effort to be trendy and current, let us not neglect the foundations upon which the church was built. There is a mid way point I fear some have passed in an effort to be cutting edge. It is a line that is easily bypassed in youthful exuberance and narrow vision.

No comments: