Friday, May 6, 2011

Love Wins Chapter 1


Some of you will call for my head! Others will look to me for a judgement! Others still will denounce me as a heretic, but for you, my adoring fans, I am writing this for you!

In the face of current and past warnings, I am reading the book "Love Wins" by Rob Bell.

I got the emails (21 of them to be precise) warning me of this heresy! I have read the blogs that warn of the dangers of this book so I thought I would check it out myself.

I want to blog after every chapter just to make sure that I am interacting with this book. So you will get to see my thoughts here. I am going into this with an open mind so I am asking for some latitude from you if I don't denounce this book quickly enough.

The Theme of chapter 1 is this: Rob Bell is confused and he wants the rest of us confused as well!

Rob is not really asking any new questions. My jr. high students every week fill out cards with prayer requests and any questions they have so that I can pray for them and answer their questions. Not one of the questions Rob posses in chapter 1 is something that I don't see on those cards! Do babies who die go to heaven? Do people who have never heard the gospel go to heaven? Can you fall away from the faith? Are you saved by faith or deeds or a combination? It all centered around a high school atheist who died in a car accident. Upon his death someone said that there was now no hope for him. Bell countered with "No hope? Is that what Jesus offers this world?" (3) I think Rob took the question too far...Jesus offers hope to the world but we just have to accept it...while we are alive!

The other confusing aspect to Rob is: How exactly are you saved? baptism? sinners prayer? righteousness? Rob brings together texts from all over the New Testament showing salvation in various ways (speech [Luke 7; Luke 18; Luke 23]; being born agian [John 3]; being worthy [Luke 20]; forgiving others [Matt 6]; do the will of the father [Matt 7]; Stand firm [Matt 10]; saying what we will do [Luke 19]; someone else's faith [Mark 2]; being married to the right person [1 Cor. 7]; or giving birth [1 Tim 2]; asking the right questions [Acts 22]; being born to the right nation [Romans 11]).

Im not real sure that all of these texts are talking about "salvation" issues necessarily, but it is awful early and he said he would explain them later. What bothers Bell most is that Salvation seems to not be as cut and dry as he would like it (which a study of conversion in Acts will show you that it is difficult to put it into a formula but has some major themes to it). When I was interviewing at CPCC the longest discussion we had during the process was about baptism. I grew up in a church where baptism was a necessity. When one of the elders was reading through the bylaws of the church the question of whether baptism was needed for salvation came up. I thought so. We discussed for probably 15 minutes about it. The thief on the cross was the dominant point. I would argue that he was more an exception that the rule. I think we just moved topics letting that one rest.

Bell's goal is to raise questions about these issues: How are we saved and who gets saved? Rob is frustrated...and as his way he wants the rest of us frustrated too! My mind is still open and he promises to answer these questions in the next couple chapters!

3 comments:

kelseylynae said...

I am very interested in this. I too have read several commentary blogs about this, but would like to check it out myself. I know Southeast pulled, not just "Love Wins" off their shelf, but ALL Rob Bell material, past and present, after this book came out.

I look forward to hearing your viewpoint, and will probably check it out myself sometime too.

btw, Brent and I went to Olive Garden last night [did not get pizza because we didn't want to be scorned…] ad tried THEIR bruschetta for comparison sake: it was delish. But no where close to life changing like Bravos. Just so you know.

Brent said...

Thanks for sharing your insight. Look forward to reading your journey through the book.

Randall said...

Good stuff Travis, keep it coming.