Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Love is the highest goal to which man can aspire." -- Viktor Frankl

Everything Jesus took, was an act of love! Jesus said: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." (John 13.34-35)

I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT WORD MEANS! The word love. I have said it to people not really understanding it. I have proclaimed it to women without the foggiest idea of what it means! Jesus understood it very well and gave us a perfect picture as he lived his life. I believe that in 3 chapters of John we see a clear picture of what Jesus meant in his love.

Love: Serves -- John 13
Jesus put a towel around his waists and, taking the job of the lowest slave in the house, washed the feet of the disciples. The purpose: to "show them the full extent of his love."(John 13.1) In this picture of his love, he sets an example that we should do as he has done for us. (John 13.15) Love, Serves! "The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." (Mark 10.45)

Love: Thinks of Others First -- John 14
Jesus tells his disciples: "If you love me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I." (John 14.28) Love: Thinks of Others First! Jesus left the comfortable confines of heaven alongside his great and glorious Father to walk the earth; and now he is ready to return. If these guys loved him they would glad to let him go! I understand the reluctance, but I also understand what Jesus is claiming. Earlier, he had told them that if they loved him they would obey him (John 14.15). Obedience is placing the will of others above the will of self.

Love: Sacrifices -- John 15
"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (John 15.12-13) Jesus constantly sacrificed for those around him. His life was constantly interrupted; he was constantly queried and probed by those who didn't deserve the time. He taught the things of God to people who didn't understand and connected with people of all classes.

All of these conditions of love ultimately came together in his work on the Cross. It was there that his service came to fruition! It was there where he bore our sin and our iniquity! It was there where he was sacrificed and he laid down his life for ours! The cross is the quintessential act of love!

When I look at my own life; I have misunderstood "love." Love is not something to be gained; but something to be poured out. It is ultimately the emptying of oneself. Here in lies my problem with love: selfishness. I love me! Service is a reordering of vision from inward to outward! I stand in my own way of serving. Why would I think of others, when I enjoy thinking of myself so much? Its hard to sacrifice when I value myself above all others!

Apologies are in order for some of you. I had no idea what love was when I said it. I had no idea of the depth to which it goes! Alexander Dumas was wrong in his book The Three Musketeers, when he said: "Love is the most selfish of passions!" True Love is the most selfless of all passions as Jesus showed us.

I just cant believe that for so many years I lived by Dumas' philosophy instead of Jesus!

No comments: