Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Advocacy: Who's side am I on?

I have always seen my job as a cultural go between, with the hope and ambition of working myself out of a job.

I understand that this is a mouthful, but as you break it down, it makes more sense. The way I see my job as youth pastor is not as a go between from parents and teenagers, but as a cultural bridge builder, whose purpose is to understand both cultures and teach both the methods and techniques to relate. The working myself out of job is my hope that as adults and youths learn how better to connect so that I will become unneeded.

Of course the other half of my job is leading kids to fall in love with Jesus, but for the time being I would like to focus on the previous statement.

Part of my job is to understand facebook, the social hierarchy of middle school, the appeal of halo, and exactly why punching is flirting in Jr. High.

Part of my is also spent informing parents on facebook, the struggles of high school, teenage relationships, and other things that their kids are dealing with.

So it begs the question: If the parents don't know these things, is it because the kids don't want them to know?

I am not talking about any particular circumstance at all, but the overall understanding that parents have of the teenage world. It is just like when your parents came to your grade school when you were a kid. For all you knew, they didn't have a clue what went on there; but suddenly the world where you can be your own person, smashes headfirst into the world where you will always be a mama's boy. See what I mean? The teenage world is very mysterious (and way overblown in movies) and I wonder if that is how the teens like it?

Last week, Jason Hildebrandt and I gave a workshop for parents about FaceBook (very few showed up, but that is a different article for a different time). I was reprimanded by a couple students for teaching their parents this teen-only tool.

Part of the teenage appeal, is that fact that parents will shake their head in frustration as they try to understand.

So who's side am I on?

I don't really know!

No comments: