Wednesday, January 14, 2009

To all those concerned:

As I write this, there is a countdown timer inside my head ticking ever faster until six o'clock tonight. What happens at six o'clock you might ask: a convergence upon Central Park Christian Church by all ages; young and old alike. Jeff's childrens celebration downstairs is a Wednesday night dinner and lesson for area kids from 5th grade down to pre-school. He has at his disposal the fellowship hall and 3 class rooms. Our fellowship hall is the only large room we have in our 80 year old building. In the balcony, the womens bible study will meet in one of our class rooms. Across the street, the mens bible study will reside in one of their class rooms. Sandwiched in the middle of this mayhem will be me, alongside 25-30 rowdy jr. highers. I say middle because it is literally the middle of the building. Our second floor consists of offices; a parlor (a long narrow room with carpet); and an 80 year-old sanctuary, that looks as though Martin Luther could have graced its pulpit. As Churches are prone to do, our people protect our sanctuary. There is to be no running, eating, puking, drinking, aerobic exercises, smelling, pinching, or any other acts of non-reverence.

Paul talks about contentment in Philippians. I doubt the coveting of a gym was really in Paul's mind there, but I guess it applies. I am not saying the church needs a gym; however, for the sanity of the youth pastor i.e. me, a large room or any structure where energy can be expelled would greatly prolong my mental capacities as well as my patience.

To all those who are considering a $500,000 offering this weekend and still setting on the fence about it, I hope this plea finds you. Just know that you will not only be furthering God's kingdom, but saving me a butt-load of psychiatric bills and anti-depressants in my old age.

No comments: