Friday, January 30, 2009

Hurry up and read this!

I have been reacquainting my self with an old friend. I first read John Ortberg's book, The Life You've Always Wanted, my sophomore year of college. If you are looking for a solid book on the spiritual disciplines, that is a pleasure to read, this is the perfect book for you. He takes a real simple approach in showing the effect that spiritual habits have on your life.

I have been reading a couple books on the disciplines in preparation for an upcoming series in both Jr. and Sr. High Youth Group. I was reading the chapter on "slowing" last night. Ortberg lumps this idea of slowing down into the realm of a discipline. I was first greatly intrigued that he would put something like this in there. First I was confused, then I was convicted. Jesus often withdrew and I can't think of a single example of him rushing through something. Ortberg makes three great statements about hurry:

"Love and hurry are fundamentally incompatible. Love always takes time, and time is one thing hurried people don’t have."

"Following Jesus cannot be done at a sprint. If we want to follow someone, we can’t go faster than the one who is leading.”

"Hurry is not just a disordered schedule. Hurry is a disordered heart."

My life is hectic, by no other fault than my own. I realized this as I swung around the fourth straight car on Topeka Blvd. for no other reason that she was going 2 mph under the speed limit. As I muttered under my breath at her, my thoughts went back to this chapter.

Ortberg gives homework in this book. One of the tasks for this section was to deliberately drive in the slow lane and stay there. Making a conscious effort to slow down is a task that is easier said than done.

No comments: