Saturday, April 19, 2008

I'm trying to figure out the appeal of Relient K...

Today was burrito day. As a youth group, we managed to turn out 3,100 burritos. That is really quite a large number. I was prepared for 1300, so as you can imagine it was a troublesome day for me really. I hooked up my laptop to the K'motion sound system so as to have music on this little escapade. That was a gigantic mistake. I admit that according to many people my choice in music is not so great (I am a country fan); however, at no point in time did I ever try to push my own brand of music. For some unknown reason, my computer was continually switched to Relient K. Every other song it seemed like was Relient K...spinning me off into a level of pissed off rarely seen by those closest to me.

Someone tell me the appeal of a band:

-That basis most of its writing off of puns...for crying out loud no one with any kind of writing ability uses puns anymore. Most of us cringe at puns, yet for some reason we are glorifying the disuse of creativity. Case in point: "I flew in from Springfield, and boy are my arms tired." Just now, everyone of you cringed. Relient K titles: "Let it snow...let it reindeer;" "Deck the halls...bruise your hand;" "The vinyl countdown." Seriously...why?

-Their lead singer was born in Canada (Ontario, 1980)...nuff said.

-Most of the members are past any age of being misunderstood. You can whine into the mic all you want about crazy things that have nothing to do with real life as long as you are still young enough to be considered rebellious. Sorry guys once you pass the age of 24 (Theissen is now 27) you are a middle of the road white guy in the midst of a country run by middle aged white guys. In the words of Homer Simpson, "I am a white male, aged 18 to 40, everyone listens to me no matter how stupid I am!" Well...people do listen...maybe they should try saying something more than, "Marilyn Manson ate my girlfriend?"

-who names their band after a Plymouth? The only good thing that ever happened to Plymouth was Richard Petty racing in one.

-Most of the members are not at the period of life where punk music still resonates. I am so glad when Blink fell apart a couple years ago...a bunch of married (Hoopes is married and has a daughter) guys singing about being rebellious and then getting in their minivans seemed a little hypocritical. Make sure your rhinestone belt and wallet chain don't scratch the upholstery.

Don't get me wrong here...I do not hate Christian music. I just think that there are other bands that could be listened too, if only for a couple seconds. I do realize the automatic cool points that are awarded for knowing that Theissen's favorite animal is the penguin, and that Hoopes enjoys playing golf...but at some point in time give Leeland a try, or December Radio. Heck Point of Grace is the only other Christian band where every song sounds the exact same: try them.

I guess my attempt at understanding the appeal of Relient K has a long way to go...just one more question:

Do you really like my sweater? (this is an obvious plea for acceptance stemming from the bands obvious lack of self esteem and a dire request for affirmation from their following).

No comments: