Monday, April 28, 2008

Shootin' the breeze...

This last weekend was filled with what guys do...blowin' up stuff and burning things. Saturday afternoon while the girls were playing games (see right) the jr. high boys and I made the journey north to the Johnson's house where we proceeded to shoot things. Two boxes of clay pigeons and a case of shells later; our arms were hurting as well as one of our egos. Last time I checked birds have brains and cunning, clay pigeons do not; but for some reason these clay pot rejects were unhittable. For the life of me, I could not hit a thing. Some of the boys had no problem. Tyler and Eli seemed to shoot fine. Jacob, Chris, and Trevor put holes in a bunch of them. A couple of the boys shot their first clay(Jake, Xavier, CJ). There was absolutely nothing falling down because of my shooting. It was embarrassing.

We had a pretty good time. Jim and Dan helped out a ton by giving the boys instruction (I was going to help but I had my own shooting problems to worry about) and throwing the clays all day. We drank IBC root beers; ate hot dogs; and played in the creek afterwards. You know: guy stuff. No one came out injured and I like to think that the sport of hunting was furthered by this little excursion.

One thing that I am learning about youth ministry is this: The idea that you have to plan things that they like is a farce; why spend time planning something that you know nothing about so that one or two kids will have fun. Instead plan things that you like to do and bring kids along. They like to do everything; involve them in what you do.

Sunday night we had a bon fire at Terry Barnes' house. It was a pretty good time. Town and Country came out as well. The high schoolers had a rousing game of Red Rover going on. All in all I was impressed with both youth groups. It was a pretty good time. After T&C left we were setting around the campfire being led in worship by Chris Maddock. I borrowed his guitar and played a couple diddy's. I felt somewhat convicted when I was asked to play a worship song. I know Greenday, Blink, Beyonce, Bon Jovi; but not a single worship song. That is pathetic. I leave you now to practice a worship song.

P.S. I can't wait to see how the High school girls do with shooting? Ireland and Aleesha with a gun: go ahead, picture it!

No comments: