Thursday, April 24, 2008

Oh the connections I have...


Not many people on this earth could guarantee the arrival of a Latino World Wrestling Heavyweight Champion; I am one of those people. El Fantassimo Forcina showed us the ultimate power that is him. He arrived to the tune of "Eye of the Tiger" made famous by Rocky Balboa and the Seaman Cross Country team. Upon arriving he spoke to us of his unusual hobby of breaking things: peoples faces, boards, and bottles just to name a few. He impressed us all by breaking a board in two and breaking a bottle on his head. He is a large man with large ability.

This question was posed during lesson time: How big is your God? As we have been talking about worship, I have been reading If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat. John Ortberg poses this very question: How big is your God? The size of your God directly affects the way that you live your life. I proclaim on Sunday mornings through my worship that I believe in a big God; however, often times throughout the week I live more like a secular humanist than anything else. Worship is the act of reminding ourselves how big our God is. The question of why God needs to be worshiped is tied into this remembering. God is not a self-conscious being who is desperately in need of an ego boost and a kind word. He doesn't need our worship to affirm him; we need our worship for him to affirm our faith, for us to remember who he is and what he has done.

On a side note: As we were messing around afterward, I was able to watch Jason, Tricia, and Angela interact with some of the kids (we were missing Aaron that night: it didn't really seem like youth group with out him). I am very thankful for the work that they do. They have saved me a number of times; so if you see them, let them know you appreciate what they do.

No comments: