Friday, April 4, 2008

To answer your question

To answer your question: Yes, I have been living under a rock. For the first time this week I have read an article concerning the KU-UNC match up this weekend, that for all intensive purposes decide who wins the National Title. Undoubtedly, the last week of newspaper clippings, Internet articles, water cooler banter, and blogs have been concerning the match up of Roy Williams versus that team that gave him his chance 2o years ago. "Benedict Williams" as he has been called, left KU in 2003 for North Carolina, only after a rejection of UNC three years earlier. Ever since then the Jayhawk faithful has taken time to rip him, mock him, and chastise him for going.

Many years ago, I had a crush on a girl. She was on the basketball team at Ozark. As number 12 in the rotation, she was not entitled to much playing time, an idea that absolutely killed her. At her small Christian school she played every minute of every game, scoring nearly 90% of her teams points. To be relegated to scrub status was a change in scenery for her. During the winter months, basketball engrossed her life, or should I say sitting on the bench engrossed her life. She began to feel really down. Her birthday was coming up, so I saw it as an opportunity to get her something to cheer her up.

I wrote Roy Williams a note explaining her situation. Within a week I received in the mail an autographed picture of Roy along with a note. During a busy basketball schedule at a top university, and what would eventually be a birth in the National Title game, he took time an wrote me a letter and sent an autographed picture.

He has said that after leaving Kansas he would wake up in the middle of the night (on the very few nights he got sleep) and throw up. It has been said that his hall of mementos at his Chapel Hill home is full of Kansas stuff. He golfs, he runs, and he wins. Everything a Kansas fan wants in a coach...it just so happens that his tie is a lighter shade of blue than we would hope.

I want to see a KU victory this week...but if the unthinkable should happen...I will break out my Tar Heel Blue on Monday and root for a good man.

No comments: